[Tagging] Problems in the English wiki page Highway=footway

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 13:31:51 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 19 Apr 2021, at 12:17, Ture Pålsson via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> At least one of the following statements must be wrong:
>
> 1. highway=footway implies foot=designated.
>
> 2. foot=designated is used in England and Wales to indicate a public right of way.
>
> 3. highway=footway can be used to map things in England and Wales which are not public rights of way.

I believe public rights of way in England and Wales are almost  offtopic on the international tagging mailing list, these should be discussed and solved locally. We (=people in other areas) should not have to deal with these unless we’re mapping in England and Wales.

Regarding 1), it is probably safer to assume that it implies either foot=designated or foot=yes

Cheers Martin