[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Mon Apr 19 15:02:36 UTC 2021

I'd second the suggestion to use the "assign the worst classification",
with the caveat that a closer approximation is often very helpful. There
are a lot of lesser roadways that have significant sections that are "not
great, but drivable" (or ridable) on either side of a section best suited
for a 4x4 or off-road-oriented motorcycle with appropriate tires and pilot
skills. Knowing how long that particularly tough section is incredibly
helpful in making a "ugh, we better go around" or "nah, we can make it
through" decision.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:54 AM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> For that situation you can apply the approach that the Italian Alpine Club
> applies to the difficulty classification of its mountain hiking trails:
> they assign to the trail the worst classification that you encounter on the
> trail.
> I would consider it safe to apply a similar approach to long ways with
> different surface and/or smoothness conditions on different parts on a
> provisional basis. You could add e fixme for later mappers.
>
> BTW thai is one aspect of mapping where taking Mapillary photos really
> helps.
>
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 16:25, brad haack <bradhaack at fastmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/18/21 2:41 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>

>> > sent from a phone

>> way
>> >
>> > a detailed mapping would add the correspondent surface value on the
>> parts (i.e. splitting)
>> >
>> > Cheers Martin
>>
>> When a mapper is mapping large stretches of untagged or poorly tagged
>> roads a detailed mapping is not going to happen.   What's important is
>> the driveablity/rideablity/walkability and noting subtle changes in
>> surface are not necessary for that.

Kevin Broderick
ktb at kevinbroderick.com