[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 18:05:35 UTC 2021

On 19/04/2021 15:22, brad haack wrote:
> On 4/18/21 2:41 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

>>> On 18 Apr 2021, at 00:37, brad <bradhaack at fastmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A typical backroad or trail around here varies quite a bit along the
>>> way
>>
>> a detailed mapping would add the correspondent surface value on the
>> parts (i.e. splitting)
>>
> When a mapper is mapping large stretches of untagged or poorly tagged
> roads a detailed mapping is not going to happen.

Well - it depends.  Personally I'd certainly aim to capture (perhaps
after a couple of surveys) surface, smoothness and tracktype changes,
not to the detail of "every piece of gravel", but certainly where there
are major changes to surface, smoothness or tracktype.  To pick a recent
example of somewhere that I'm just in the process of doing, between
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/54.35964/-1.06199 ,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/54.40488/-1.05410 ,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/54.41091/-1.09909 and back there
are only about half a dozen changes over probably 12km of unique tracks
and bridleways - at that level it's very doable.

Cheers,

Andy