[Tagging] Proposed features/trailblazed=poles; cairns; symbols ... Approved

Jaromír Mikeš mira.mikes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 02:41:29 UTC 2021

Hello Greg,
thank you for comments

po 19. 4. 2021 v 14:21 odesílatel Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> napsal:

> I find this:
>
>   There must be taken extra caution when using trailblazed=symbols this
>   tag should be never used when there is "normal" marking on relation to
>   avoid confusions and double tagging !!!
>
> to be completely not understandable:
>
>   - What is "normal" (and why is in quotes, other than the usual reason
>     that people put words in quotes to indicate that they don't really
>     know what they mean).

You are right I am struggling to find the right term for the common marked
trail tagged by osmc:symbol on relation ...
What you are suggesting?

>   - Is a simple color blaze a symbol?

Might be if having the shape of a symbol.

  - Is best practice to use osmc:symbol to describe the blazes?

It is possible ... it is hopefully clear from the "Values" table and
"Examples" table
Isn't it?

>   - If there is an osmc:symbol tag, is it then the recommendation not to
>     add trailblazed=symbol?

If there is already an  osmc:symbol tag on relation then it is not
recommended to add trailblazed=symbols on way.
This is more precise I believe. You would prefer such a definition?

I find this

>   Tag trailblazed=no is there more or less for completeness... It
>   shouldn't be normally used
>
> to not make sense.   If lack of trailblazed key indicates that it is not
> known or not recorded, isn't a =no label useful?   Perhaps the notion is
> only that it should be tagged =no when someone might expect
> trailblazing?

I've changed this to:

   - Tag trailblazed=no may not be used too often. This probably makes
   sense only when there is blazing highly expected, but not exists.

> I suggest you read this over from the point of view of someone who is
> familiar with mapping hiking trails but has zero previous experience
> with this discussion and with the osmc tags and trying to answer: I see
> a trail which looks like X; how should I tag it.

I definitely agree with you and this is exactly what I am trying to do ;)
Hopefully section "Examples" helping with that?

I prefer answer to the list so others can join the discussion too.

m.