[Tagging] Place of worship key - approved?

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Tue Apr 20 08:08:50 UTC 2021

Hi LeTopographeFou,

Thank you for your input.

> The building key describes what a building looks like, not what it is used for. You can have a building=hangar which is used as a place of worship (amenity=place_of_worship). But it is still a hangar from an architectural point of view.

Agreed entirely, and it was my understanding that this is what building:use is for?

So, amenity=place_of_worship, building=hangar, and (optionally, since the amenity tag has already been added) building:use=place_of_worship. Or for your church example, tourism=museum, building=church (and optional, since the tourism tag has already been added) building:use=museum.

I guess the benefit of using place_of_worship=* is to then further define the type of place of worship – especially if it doesn’t match the building type. As I’ve said before, this just wasn’t documented/discussed/approved before (hence I originally set as a tagging mistake).

I think now that this has been discussed, I’ll update the Wiki to reflect the potential use of this tag – even with its current very limited use.

> My point of view is that since your proposal did not address general use of how to use place_of_worship key but to address specific use cases (what we call "tag" ) then place_of_worship=holy_well is approved and place_of_worship=* is in use. But the step to defined it as approved is very small once a specific tag is approved for a given key.

Thank you for the input on this and I think I agree. I will leave it as “in use” for now. I do wonder if it would be worth formalising with a proposal for that key though. Just to note, place_of_worship=holy_well wasn’t my proposal (I don’t want to take someone else’s credit for that!), I just noted the place_of_worship key didn’t have a Wiki page, so created it.

> By the way I don't know if you are familiar with that but I suggest you to create a template for listing values in a table

Yes, thank you. I’ll probably add a taginfo table rather than a template but it works the same.

Many thanks.