[Tagging] Deprecation of landuse=forest

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:53:44 UTC 2021

On 19/4/21 6:51 pm, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 19 Apr 2021, at 10:45, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Typical in your area. In my area * State Forest are designated areas
>> that can and do include areas without trees (e.g. camp grounds, huts,
>> buildings, water bodies,  etc).
>>

> which clearly shows that landuse=forest is not the tag for these. It
> is a tag for areas where trees grow. No trees no tag

The tag landuse=military can have many different land covers -
buildings, lakes, wood, sand dunes, rock, sea.

The tag landuse=university can have many different land covers -
buildings, lakes, wood, grass.

The tag for where trees grow is natural=wood.

>> These are all part of the area used to produce timber and as a
>> landuse the best fit is landuse=forest so far.
>>

> it is not. We cannot all have our own definitions for everything, we
> must agree on the same meaning of tags so that the data is useful.

What tag do you use for an area used for timber production?

Or do they simply not exist?