[Tagging] RFC - Deprecate railway=preserved (was: Discourage railway=preserved)

Kai Michael Poppe - OSM osm at poppe.dev
Tue Apr 20 19:37:15 UTC 2021

Good evening lists,

As per rationale requests, I have changed the original proposal, discouraging the use of railway=preserved, to deprecating it.

I'd like to again encourage people to weigh in their thoughts in the discussion - especially because the tag that should be the replacement is in heavy use in the community, which makes thinking of an alternative harder and can only be sensibly accomplished with the heavy users of Railway-Tagging "on board".

The proposal can be found here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Deprecate_railway%3Dpreserved

Earliest start date for voting (which I might bump ahead however this discussion will turn out) is May 8th.

Regards

Kai