[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 20:47:06 UTC 2021

Since I'm not able to modify the wiki change comment retroactively I've
made a very minor whitespace change along with a better comment referencing
the previous change.  Apologies for not including that in the first place.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dtrack&diff=prev&oldid=2144252

Although I can't translate to other languages myself, I'm happy to work
with anyone else who is translating.  I think I should be able answer
questions about the subtleties of word and phrase meanings, having spent
the last couple of months reading, researching, and thinking a lot about
this topic.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 8:49 AM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it may be a good idea to invite mappers on this wiki page to map
> tracks and their properties carefully, even if they are not part of
> "general-purpose road networks". They are of importance for cyclists.  In
> fact they often are part of cycle routes, even transnational ones. Also,
> most, if not all bicycle routers, evaluate carefully the track properties
> when creating route proposals for cyclists. Tagging errors on track
> properties are a major cause of bad bicycle routing.

The How to map section is intended to encourage adding appropriate surface,
smoothness, tracktype, and access tags.  Perhaps I haven't quite captured
the nuance you are looking for though?

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:39 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> it would invalidate or outdate a lot of tagging in Nederland, where in
> fact the tracks are unpaved through-roads. They look like tracks (double
> tracked unpaved and do give access to the land or forest, but they also
> interconnect larger paved roads and often at the same time give access to
> housing. Although I agree in principle with the change in definition, but I
> think means that these track roads are now suddenly unpaved unclassifieds,
> I am not going to advocate changing it.

It seemed like there was a strong consensus that highway=track should not
be used for through roads in the general-purpose road network, but perhaps
that is not true everywhere.  I've tried to document the general consensus
that I've heard in these discussions so the page will be relevant to
mappers across the world.  There will always be grey areas though and
ultimately it's up to local mappers in each area to decide where a
deviation from the documentation makes sense.  I plan to add a Track
section to the United States/Road classification page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States/Road_classification>
with more specific details about how the tag is used here.  Ideally it will
match the global documentation just with more specific descriptions.
However, there may be some slight deviations if there are unique use cases
for highway=track in the US that don't make sense elsewhere.  Perhaps there
is a similar Nederland specific page?