[Tagging] Deprecation of landuse=forest

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:35:51 UTC 2021

On 21/4/21 10:32 am, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 at 01:29, Zeke Farwell <ezekielf at gmail.com
> <mailto:ezekielf at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     A more realistic path forward would be to clearly document that
>     landuse=forest is an exact synonym of natural=wood and deprecated
>     for new tagging.  Then create a new tag clearly defined to mean an
>     "area used for timber production or other forestry purpose,
>     regardless of current tree cover".  This seems to be the goal of
>     the forestry boundary proposal.
>

> How about just the existing landuse=forestry that Mateusz mentioned ^ ?

Unfortunately some will not accept that landuse=forest is for tagging
the land cover of trees.

Some of these probably vote against the proposed boundary=forestry as
they want to continue to use it for tree cover.

As such there is presently no tag for an "area used for timber
production, regardless of current tree cover".

I think the way forward may well be proposing boundary=forestry as "area
used for timber production, regardless of current tree cover". No
mention should be made of 'other forestry purposes' as that leads to
some thinking that forestry = forest. No mention should be made of
natural=wood nor landuse=forest in the proposal. Any question about
those tags should be answered by referring to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forest.