[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Thu Apr 22 14:08:29 UTC 2021

> The proposal template adds a Rendering section, but it doesn’t make
> sense. There is some point of having such a section for tag
> definition pages (in case there is a representation on the “standard”
> map(s?)), but for a proposal I believe this only creates false
> expectations. Tag proposals are about the way we describe the world,
> if and when the tags will have an effect for a map rendering is a
> completely different question, one that is not influenced by tagging
> proposals.

Proposal authors often do have a clear vision of how a proposal could
affect renderers, and tagging proposals do have an (eventual) impact on
rendering. Often tagging proposals address rendering issues that arise
from lacunae in the tagging documentation.

For example the parking:street_side proposal introduced a tagging
standard that addressed a need in tagging, but also explicitly
referenced a problem with the rendering of amenity=parking that was
raised by several mappers in the course of that proposal.

That doesn't mean that Carto and other renderers should follow suit, but
it does help in conveying the need for a tagging solution.

It also helps visualize the problem at hand and convey the intentions of
the proposal author in showing what renderers could do with the newly
proposed tagging as a proof of concept.

I agree that the rendering section should not be seen as prescriptive,
but rather treated as a suggestion, so renaming it to 'Example
rendering' might be good.