[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Apr 23 00:04:48 UTC 2021

Robin Burek <robin.burek at gmx.de> writes:

> Am 22.04.2021 um 15:39 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
>> The proposal template adds a Rendering section, but it doesn’t make
>> sense. There is some point of having such a section for tag
>> definition pages (in case there is a representation on the
>> “standard” map(s?)), but for a proposal I believe this only creates
>> false expectations.
>>
>> Let’s remove “Rendering” from the template.
> I think that in a proposal you already have fundamental thoughts about a
> possible rendering. Especially in the "official" standard style. Because
> you don't just have to think about how the world can be described, but
> also how it can be represented (by renderers, or other dataconsumers).
> So an deprecation of that, I see rather wrong. We should rather be more
> specific.

I think removing the rendering section is a huge mistake, but it could
be that it should have a differenet emphasis.

Tagging rules are a protocol for information description where:

  humans express things in that protocol

  renderers (visual display and routing at least) interpret the protocol

I think the two biggest problems with the entire tagging ecosystem are:

  people talking about how to tag without simultaaneously talking about
  how it will be interpreted

  [off topic] people not understanding fundamental geography concepts
  liek landuse/landcover, and generally not seeking to understand that
  work that's already been done outside of OSM

So while specific visual choices aren't important, a reader of the
proposal needs to understand enough about what the tags mean to write a
renderer or router unambiguously.