[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - reusable packaging

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Apr 23 14:12:03 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am against tags that describe short-term business decisions. A shop
might be part of the XY alliance today and part of the ABC alliance
tomorrow. They might offer cash withdrawal at the register today and
stop doing that tomorrow. They might buy green power today and nuclear
power tomorrow. The supermarket might carry gluten-free food today and
drop it tomorrow. All these are decisions that are made by some
management people somewhere in the chain store's management department
based on forecasts about which "brand message" will bring them the most
customers, and most of them can be changed willy-nilly, from one day to
the next.

I do not wish OpenStreetMap to become a tool in this marketing exercise,
and I think it is futile for us to run after each little adjustment made
by the store marketing department.

Of course if taken to the extreme this opinion would apply to opening
times and some other frequently recorded things as well. Personally, I
think there are some properties that are relatively essential - is the
shop open, and maybe what chain is it part of, if any. But do I really
need OpenStreetMap to record details about whether a shop has reusable
packaging? My opinion is, no - not least because it is hard enough to
keep opening times current, I don't want to have to enter the shop and
ask if they have changed their policy regarding reusable packaging in
the last year.

Bye
Frederik