[Tagging] Who has the last word over the access tag?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 22:51:33 UTC 2021

Am Mo., 26. Apr. 2021 um 00:03 Uhr schrieb Frederik Ramm <
frederik at remote.org>:

> So we have an access restriction which is currently not enforcable by
> the person who has a legal claim;

how would it be a "legal" claim if you base it on former law? Apparently
the people in the land are with their new government and the new legal
situation, so why should we side with the old government and the former
legal situation? Would you ask the descendants of the German emporer
whether you can visit the gardens of Sanssouci Castle?

> That's the whole point of this fable - how enforcable and how enforced
> does an access restriction have to be to be mapped in OSM. The land
> owner has the paperwork saying the land is his.

he doesn't, he has paperwork saying it belonged to him before the coup.

> If he managed to bring
> this before some sort if international court that court would probably
> say, yes, the island government wasn't legit and they had no right to
> simply take that away from you.

these issues are complicated, because you have to decide who has the
authority to decide. Unless the island government has signed international
treaties, why should they be bound to the international court?

Anyway, we should trust in the ground truth rule. If someone later changes
the situation, the island government is sent to jail and old land deeds are
reconsidered valid, we can change the tagging accordingly.

Cheers,
Martin