[Tagging] Who has the last word over the access tag?

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 17:09:30 UTC 2021

I am very happy you come up with this fable, which is not a fable but
daily truth and practice in many countries.

Especially in Africa we face cases of encroachment and land grabbing on
a daily basis.  Both by private individuals as by governments or their
representatives.  OSM wanting or aiming to map the ground truth, not a
suitable tool at all to prevent or reflect "legal" status, either
current or historical, enforced or not, applicable or not,  at all.
More and more OSM is used as a means to "create" ones ground truth,
incite not only mapping but real world wars, with devastating results.

You can't avoid or invoke this by allowing ground truth to be mapped
with tags based on observations of human behaviour or interpretations.
Where does the ground truth end where does it start ?
The presence of a private guard or police man is not physical ground
truth, without being able to determine if he acts on a legal basis or
not, is present continuously or not.  Same as the presence of a
signpost.  The interpretation of the legality can be a difficult matter
by itself, where only the judiciary process can make viable decisions,
we should not let a mapper make this decision.

Neither an ownership tag, access tag or other tag can resolve this.
What could help is that we allow mapping of non-physical or
deterministic map items like boundaries but also to some extend the
edges of landuse, but based on some "legal or authoritative" sources.
The sources could be, by consensus, listed and acknowledged by the
global or local communities.
Having a consensus about these sources, we could use a prefix or tag to
confirm if the ground truth we map is unambiguous or not. Allowing us to
map the physical ground truth but give it context in regard to it's
current legality,

So in this case, from the point of view of the private owner, we could
tag the path with access=private and legal=undisputed and
source:legal=xyz, the signposts as owner=private.
In the current state, with a local government "grabbing" the land as
access=private;public, legal=disputed and source:legal=xyz;uvw.  The
signposts being deleted or disused or removed prefix.

Thus we would be able to provide neutral and complete information and
context, with some short term historic reference (as to the removed
signposts) and let the map user or data consumer decide how he uses this
information.
It would be progress for OSM as we now leave it open, incite vandalism,
mapping and real world wars.

Greetings,

Bert Araali