[Tagging] Who has the last word over the access tag?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Apr 26 20:28:20 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 04:50 2021-04-25, Frederik Ramm đã viết:
> Hello,
>
> this is a fable built on a real-world case. Please don't guess what the
> real-world case behind this is; it doesn't matter. Do me a favour and
> discuss the fable.
>
> Let's assume you buy a large plot of land and a nice holiday home
> somewhere on a pacific island. You travel there regularly and enjoy the
> beautiful landscaped garden. You put up "Private property - no
> trespassing" signs and hire a couple of guards to ensure nobody enters
> your property. Consequently the paths in your garden are mapped in OSM
> as access=private.
>
> One day while you are in your home country there is a coup on the
> pacific island, and the self-proclaimed island government nullifies all
> foreign land ownership. Your guards go home and someone pulls out the
> "No trespassing" signs. Random people start enjoying your garden and the
> local police are watching.
>
> Let's say this goes on for half a year. The island government has no
> international backing but they control the island de-facto. You say that
> the property is still your property no matter what the criminals of the
> island government say. You take out a one-page ad in the island
> newspaper saying that the decrees of the island government are null and
> void and that you will sue anyone who enters your property.
>
> Still, every day people are walking across your property and the police
> are waving happily.
>
> Are the paths in your garden still access=private?

On a tangent, this hypothetical situations reminds me of a key I
recently encountered about a kind of access restriction commonly posted
in Finland but possibly disregardable depending on the use case:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:pihatie

If the hypothetical you recount is a mundane, commonplace situation
rather than a high-profile edge case, then it might be worthwhile to
clarify the situation with a dedicated tag, however the usual access
tags are set.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us