[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:27:41 UTC 2021

There are many Dutch speaking communities outside of the Netherlands.
They need a translation for the "global" page, not the local practice in
the Netherlands. It is an inappropriate justification not to supply a
good translation.  If you are in need to reflect local usage in a
specific country, you can perfectly do this in local chapter or
community wiki pages, in Dutch, specific for the Netherlands. As we do
it for English and other languages.  Justifying that a translation of
the improved description would brake or make local tagging incorrect
implies that there is something fundamentally wrong with the local
practice, being it wrong interpretation or a non documented local variant.
It is very bad practice and creates problems in other areas. What if
Dutch speakers want to map tracks in other countries ? They refer to the
global translated page and read a local practice (variant), applying it
in other areas around the world and thus creating conflicts with the
local communities there, who do follow global guidelines.

And this is actually what happens many times, as f.i. in Africa because
of lots of confusion and annoyance in the local community with good
hearted humanitarian mappers mapping according to their local practices.

Global practices need to be translated as accurate as possible for
global application.  Local pages can reflect local variants or
amendments, specifically indicating that this tag is used as described
only in that specific area or country.  So, make a local variant of the
current translated page and a new translation for the new improved
global one seems to be the only reasonable way forward.

Greetings,

Bert Araali