[Tagging] Who has the last word over the access tag?

mail at marcos-martinez.net mail at marcos-martinez.net
Mon Apr 26 23:48:55 UTC 2021

Hi everybody,

I tend to agree with Bert. We must not forget that maps are so vastly
important because they help people understand and explain the reality of
the world and thus what is on a map also will have an impact on it.

The base question here for me is: Based on what do we map and tag
things? While one of OSM's main principle is "truth on the ground" if
firmly believe we need to expand this notion to the "legal truth on the
ground". Actually we have already done so but it doesn't come to light
except when there is conflict which we should be able to face. In short
it means for me that the map needs to reflect in some way what has been
defined as legal reality by the highest and most widely accepted legal
authority. This in itself might be tricky but at least this is what we
should aim for - and please don't misunderstand this as applying moral
or ethics, I am talking about legal reality as long as it doesn't
violate the most basic human rights. I'd never tag violation=yes just
because some dictator makes this "legal" for a specific ethnic group.

How does the above apply to the fable? This specific case is not easy
because there is an extreme difference between two legal statuses and we
don't know how long the transition will take (or even if it will last).
If it becomes clear that the new government represents the new legal
reality on the ground and it is clearly specified that in that specific
territory private property is abolished I'd remove the access=private
tag. This wouldn't work though for those properties subject to higher
legal authority such as embassies because international treaties clearly
determine that foreign missions must not be violated.

Should the reality on the ground should be systematically and
long-lastingly opposed to the accepted legal reality we should find a
way to adequately tag this dichotomy instead of just siding with those
who happen to be the most powerful.

Cheers,
Marcos