[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:36:23 UTC 2021

It depends. If you would like to define gravel or any variant in the
surface tag what exactly are we referring to ?  If a road shows not
embedded gravel in the top surface, so a part of the gravel can clearly
be observed as "loose" gravel on the top ?  Then what you say makes
sense, as true the largest main content define it's grade (grain size).
However it's difficult to define what extend or amount we should
consider as "loose".
Many roads have the gravel completely embedded, interlocked in the top
layer, especially those using clay like top or sealing. The purpose
mainly making the surface more smooth, fill the voids with the clay.
The gravel might be a natural mixture, or a mixture where the grade
doesn't matter that much.  It is added to provide more stability and
prevent washing out.  In dry conditions it's very hard to see by a non
professional if there is any gravel at all, they look much the same as a
complete dirt road with clay layer.  In those cases do we still tag it
as gravel, fine-gravel ?  Or just as f.i. murram , sand or other ? It's
hard to determine the grade, they might be naturally present large
boulders or rocks but the gravel content or it's grade is impossible to
determine without taking a larger sample from the top layer.  So that's
my point, defining gravel, fine-gravel or embedded garvel boulder
mixture, where does it leads us, what sense does it make besides visual
appearance to add it to OSM ?

Greetings,

Bert Araali