[Tagging] Roudabout, center island, type of a traffic_island?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 21:44:24 UTC 2021

Hm... I would say, highway=island is too vague, even misleading, and
traffic_calming=island is simply not what it is.
roundabout_central_island,  that's what it is. A specific part of a
roundabout construction, with no special function for traffic that isn't
already in the junction ways, markings, rules and signs. Unless you count
the truck apron, but even that would have to be tagged additionally,
comparable with kerb. kerb=truck_apron?

If highways are going to be tagged as areas underlying the linear
representation of roads, the roundabout central island certainly deserves
its place. Right now, the highway areas typically are NOT tagged, so the
lines stand out against the nothingness between the fields and forest
compartments. .

Peter Elderson