[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - catholic

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Aug 9 21:55:27 UTC 2021

Guy Godfroy <guy.godfroy at gugod.fr> writes:

> Anyway I still disagree. On a semantic point of view, being catholic and
> following the roman, greek, armenian or byzantine rite are totally
> unrelated. Honestly, I think having one single denomination=catholic
> even without another key would be more correct than the present situation.

Do you have a reference to scholarly work in comparative religion that
supports the view that the there is a Catholic denomination which has
sub-denominations within it?  This does not seem like parallel structure
to the many denomimations that consider themselves Protestant.

Also, it seems that Catholic is (in the outside-of-OSM world) considered
an abbrevation/synonum for Roman Catholic, and I would not have thought
it reasonable to refer to members of a Greek Orthodox church as
Catholics.  And, it seems that there is one denomination "Eastern
Orthodox" with 7 national churches, and another "Coptic Orthodox".

I'm not an expert in this, but I have a general reaction that OSM
tagging should be informed by consensus nomenclature of professional
scholarship of the things being tagged.