[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - catholic

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Aug 11 00:16:48 UTC 2021

Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> writes:

> Besides, denomination=catholic has been around as generic value for
> about as long as denomination=protestant and denomination=orthodox
> have been. All three values were later supplemented by more specific
> values for the same denomination key. Protestantism and Orthodoxy may
> differ from Catholicism in many ways, but it's only natural that
> people see an analogy.

I think we're getting to the heart of the disagreement here.

Having read up on this, I think denomination=protestant is simply wrong
semantically as denomination means (wikipedia) "a group that operates
under common name, tradition, and identity." and specifically talks
about the word referring to "varieties of protestantism".  And, Orthodox
isn't quite right because there is an Eastern Orthodox denomination and
a Coptic Orthodox denomination.  Within Eastern Orthodox there are
national churches, but scholarship considers it one denomination, as far
as I can tell.

And certainly your point about analogy is valid.  The non-Orthodox
branch of Catholicism has multiple things that are clearly separate
denominations (those "not in full communion", I think we all agree).

The real question is if there is one Catholic church with the various
members with differing rites, or if they are somehow accepting without
being the same.  Essentially federation vs confederacy, to stir the
pot :-)   I originally thought otherwise (mostly because Catholic
churches that are other than Latin are basically unheard of around me),
but this

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church

convinced me that a single denomination is appropriate, and that pretty
much everybody is confused about whether Roman Catholic and Catholic are
synonyms, but that Roman Catholic more clearly excludes Eastern Orthodox
and Old Catholic.  So I think somewhat the denomination tag should
probably have been catholic.

On the other hand, in the US, normal people view Roman Catholic as a
denomination.  And, despite the full communion notions, the various
named entities with differing rites meet the definition of denomination
as having identity/name/traditions.

As far as sub-tagging, I think it's a mistake to use catholic= because
that won't work for various other denominations that have names for
next-level groups.   Instead I think it should be

  subdenomination=latin

or perhaps roman or western, depending on the preponderance of
scholarship of the best term.

All that said, I have little appetite for a mass bot edit unless there
is very strong consensus on the right way, and it's pretty clear that
consensus is lacking.