[Tagging] How to tag recreational route with multiple route types?

Martin Søndergaard sondergaard246 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:44:29 UTC 2021

I have tagged a lot of hiking routes, but I sometimes encounter routes
which are not only meant for hiking.

An example is: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/12399656

This is a single route which is officially both for hiking, cycling, and
horseback riding. How do you properly tag this?
The only option I can see is to just make three different routes. But this
results in three relations for what is technically just a single feature.
It also makes it easy for the route information (name, operator, etc) to
get out of sync if someone updates the info on one relation without
checking the other two relations.