[Tagging] How to tag recreational route with multiple route types?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Aug 12 21:04:03 UTC 2021

Right.  And "how I've done it (correctly)"  Even knowing that making single routes that have "fancy" (multiple) values in the network tag is delicate business and "only where these overlap."  For the routes constructed in the area I linked to before, it both is and remains easier to "build them out of the also properly tagged ways" distinctly because there is "only so much" overlap between modes (mountain bike, equestrian, hiker...) in a route with a single network value, representing a single mode.  The most succinct method of saying these routes is out of the ways which make up a single mode (imo, here, on these routes).

And yet, it's great to know (yes, I say to myself "RTFM," Steve!) that the renderers ALSO support richer semicolon syntax, where if that's a "brief / more efficient / perhaps more precise" way of constructing / tagging such routes, it / they will be rendered as it / they should.  Thanks for that support Sarah, thanks for pointing it out to those of us who could "read the manual," but don't always ("Guilty," I blush).

There's the data author who constructs the route, there's the data consumers (yes, some of them are "serious") there's the person who ISN'T the author (but who isn't a renderer, either) who comes along and tries to make sense out of some OSM relations.  We're all here at the same time.