[Tagging] How to tag recreational route with multiple route types?

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 16:04:32 UTC 2021

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 10:11 AM Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:

> waymarkedtrails expects semicolon-separated values in
> the route tag, to be precise, e.g. route=hiking;bicycle;horse

I'm glad to learn about this.  There are many multi-purpose recreational
routes in my area that will make sense to tag this way.  The idea of
creating five separate route relations for a single named path just because
it is designated for five transport modes (walking, cycling, inline
skating, horse riding, and skiing in the winter), feels wrong and in
violation of the "one feature, one OSM element" principle.  How many other
data consumers are there that use route relations but don't handle
semi-colon delimited values, though?  Clearly a map that only shows
route=bicycle is going to miss out on route=foot;bicycle,
route=bicycle;horse;ski, etc.  How can we get more data consumers to parse
semi-colon delimited values in the route and network tags?