[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Rejected - shrubbery V2

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Wed Aug 18 10:17:58 UTC 2021

On 18-08-2021 11:14, Warin wrote:
> On 18/8/21 3:53 pm, osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au wrote:
>> This leaves me with the situation that I’ll probably end up continuing
>> to map such features as natural=scrub, in a blatant case of “mapping
>> for the renderer”, as the alternative is that I’ll not find the
>> motivation to map them at all.
>>

> There is always an alternative.
>
> As the two tags are mutually exclusive .. create 2 entries - one tagged
> for the render the other tagged for truth.
>
> I'd place a common comment on both of them to explain the situation to
> any mapper that comes across it.
>
> Why 'common' .. so they can be searched for and, when the renders take
> action, the tag for the render can be removed.

We've briefly entertained the idea of suggesting something like this:

natural=scrub
actually:natural=shrubbery

Which would indicate clearly that the mapper wishes to support
natural=shrubbery, but feels that the lack of rendering is too much of
an obstacle for this highly visible feature.

We've decided against advocating this approach though, and to limit our
efforts to natural=shrubbery and acknowledge that this leaves a tagging
gap for mappers caught between 'everything is natural=scrub' and 'use
natural=shrubbery to build up support gradually even though support me
be a long way off'.

Should someone decide to implement a solution of this type as an
alternative to these two approaches, do document it on the wiki though.