[Tagging] Should pastures be tagged landuse=meadow or landuse=farmland?

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 03:30:15 UTC 2021

A couple of weeks ago a new wiki editor
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/DerBauer>
modified several pages in a way that changes the meaning of landuse=meadow
and landuse=farmland.

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dmeadow>
Tag:landuse meadow
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dmeadow>  (diff
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dmeadow&type=revision&diff=2225909&oldid=2224216>
)
Tag:landuse farmland
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmland>  (diff
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dfarmland&type=revision&diff=2225152&oldid=2224151>
)
Tag:landuse farmyard
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmyard>  (diff
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dfarmyard&type=revision&diff=2225157&oldid=1935881>
)
Template:Map_Features:landuse
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Map_Features:landuse>  (diff
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3AMap_Features%3Alanduse&type=revision&diff=2225907&oldid=2210904>
)

Previously these pages suggested that landuse=meadow is used for pastures
and hay fields, landuse=farmland is used for tilled cropland, and that some
mappers use landuse=farmland for all three.  Some ambiguity there, but that
was the gist of it.  After the recent changes these pages now state that
landuse=farmland should be used for tilled cropland and pastures, while
landuse=meadow should only be used for grassy areas which are not regularly
grazed.

Is this change in meaning appropriate or not?

The description for landuse=meadow was changed from this:

> An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily vegetated by grass and other
> non-woody plants, mainly used for hay or grazing

to this:

> A meadow - land primarily vegetated by grass and non-woody plants, but
> which is *not* regularly grazed.

The description for landuse=farmland was changed from this:

> Area of farmland used mainly for tillage (annual crops)

to this:

> Area of land operated by a farm whether that is pastoral (livestock) or
> arable (tillage). To be used in conjunction with crop=* to define the crop
> (grass, wheat etc) grown on that land. Separate to tag landuse=farmyard

Another section of the landuse=farmland page was change from this:

> This tag is sometimes used for tagging every agricultural area (except
> farmyards). However we also have separate tags for: meadows and pastures
> landuse=meadow, fruit orchards landuse=orchard, and vineyards
> landuse=vineyard, so many mappers prefer to use landuse=farmland for
> cropland only

to this: