[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forest(_compartment) relations

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:15:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 8:02 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 31 Jan 2021, at 16:04, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OSM's data model presumes that a government-managed area is managed for
> a single purpose, but that's not the way that the USFS or BLM (or for that
> matter NYS DEC) operate.
> in addition, a National park status or other nature reserve status does
> not imply all of the area is necessarily owned or managed by the
> government, it rather means there are prescriptions and limitations of
> possible use that every owner/operator has to respect.

That depends on the jurisdiction.  All the 'National Parks' and 'National
Monuments' in the US (note the capital letters) are government-owned as far
as I know. (The larger 'proclamation bouindaries' that may surround them
are largely unobservable in the field.) The National Forests (capital
letters) are also government owned, but the operator of a given tract may
be private, since there are leaseholders for activities such as timber
harvests and grazing.

There are two large _sui generis_ parks in New York State, the Catskill and
Adirondack Parks, that I've tagged as `boundary=national_park` because
nothing else fits. They function as national parks do in most other
jurisdictions; they are signed at their boundaries, and they are
established by a sovereign government. in fact, they enjoy constitutional
protection - a stronger protection than the US National Parks. These two
are indeed public-private partnerships. About half the land area of each is
in private hands; the other half is state land, most of which is
protect_class=1b. (In the Catskill Park, New York City also has substantial
holdings to protect its water supply.)

`boundary=nature_reserve` most certainly does not imply government
ownership or management. There are a great many near me that are operated
by NGO's.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin