[Tagging] Development of Tag Replacements (was: Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse bush)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Feb 4 10:16:30 UTC 2021

Feb 4, 2021, 10:05 by mail at jeroenhoek.nl:

https://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/landcover/grass&***/landuse/grass

> And yes, landcover gets rejected in iD, JOSM, and Carto, so we remain at
> a standstill where the status quo is that landuse=grass, natural=scrub,
> and landuse=forest are misused, because there isn't anything else to
> use, because any proposal to introduce tags that do fit will have to
> compete with tags that are misused, but do render nicely and are
> supported out of the box in the editors.
>
> At some point I would like to move forward on this issue, and due to the
> inherent dependency on its rendering (due to the fact that these are
> highly visible on Carto), some concerted effort between the mapping
> community and the Carto maintainers would be welcome.

I am not sure what would be preferable, I am scared by that mess.

If I would be Imperator of Everything then we would have
landcover=trees, maxspeed:signed=no and some other things.

lanes key would be defined or named differently.

sqkm=*, is_in:continent, place=ocean, place=continent would not exist.

But as I am not an Imperator of Everything...

Trying to deprecate landuse=forest or natural=wood
feels me with dread and I prefer to do things more likely to succeed
and less likely to be overall harmful (like deprecating obviously
duplicated or obviously problematic tags, we have no shortage of that
- if someone wants to deprecate something look at
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sqkm
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic
- surface=unpaved_minor (what is that?)
- surface=interlock (what is that?)
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Tags_with_verifiability_issues
- lanes tag (lanes:total including bicycle lanes would be nice)
- usage of place=plot without name
- lack of tag for "you cannot carry bicycle here" (bicycle=no, bicycle=dismount mess)
- and feel free to take over https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/deprecate_class:bicycle_tag_family
).

As I am not even sure whatever landcover=trees transition would
be overall positive and worth doing this I am not going to declare anything.

Note that in over 9 years since landcover=* was proposed noone bothered
to finish proposal and even try going through proposal process,
I am also highly dubious about overall support for this idea and
I remember being annoyed by attempts to use OSM Carto rendering
as way to promote this tag despite dubious support, there were also
some very dubious claims about its popularity and support
among mappers.