[Tagging] Is landuse=winter_sports a ‘de facto’ tag for ski areas?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Feb 8 04:47:19 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 23:29:19 -0500
"Brian M. Sperlongano" <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thus I think landuse should be tagged according to the rules we apply
> > to multipolygons - no crossing boundaries.
>

> I agree that's what should have happened, and landuse=flowerbed, grass,
> forest should never have been put in that key.  Though, if you want to tag
> a flower bed on a military base, you're out of luck without breaking that
> rule.

No, it is only problematic if you have a flowerbed that is split by the
boundary of the military base - this does not really make sense anyway.
If the flowerbed is fully contained within the military base then it is
OK. This has been established exactly for the reason to allow for, e.g.,
playgrounds within a residential area. This provides the possibility to
add some kind of level of detail. I am not particularly fond of that
but I think it reflects the current consensus.

> I am concerned that we are considering approving a new
> landuse-that-isn't-landuse, which would effectively legitimize
> flowerbed/grass/forest rather than holding them out as exceptions.

Yep, exactly. We should stop digging ;)