[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forest(_compartment) relations

David Marchal penegal.fr at protonmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:45:56 UTC 2021

0_o SteveA, that's a pretty long text! I'll try to answer your questions, but I may have missed somes, so don't hesitate to hit harder if it didn't enter my brain the first time. ;-)

Given the last exchanges, it seems that the proposal should deprecate landuse=forest, state that natural=wood now says "this area, managed or wild, is totally covered by trees", and boundary=forestry says "this area, currently wooded or not, is managed as a single entity through forestry". What I told about water/screes/glades… is that, this way, such non-wooded areas would have no reason to keep overlapping with natural=wood entities: natural=* entities would give the physical state of the land, and only that.

I'll try to explain through ASCII art (to be quick; should what I explain be merged in the proposal, I would take time to draw nice schemas). Let's say there is a pond (│ symbol) in the forestry area, modelled with landuse=forest (─ symbol), and the pond is considered part and parcel of the forestry area. Currently, the landuse=forest and water=pond polygons would overlap:
─────────────────────
─────────────────────
───────┼┼┼┼┼┼────────
─────┼┼┼┼┼┼┼┼┼───────
───────┼┼┼┼┼┼┼┼┼─────
───────┼┼┼┼┼┼┼┼──────
─────────────────────

This mapping allows to model the fact that the pond is considered part and parcel of the forestry area. Unfortunately, this often leads to a somewhat buggy rendering, with trees symbols rendered in the water. That may be perfectly OK for wooded residential areas, but, in that case, this rendering doesn't allow to easily understand what is exactly this area: a mapper could think "It may be a mangrove or a marsh, but why does it have the wrong symbol?" or even "Hey, I'll retag that as a mangrove, that sounds better". Both cases don't seem OK. Besides, as landuse=forest is not always interpreted as "this wooded area is managed", you don't have information about management either. The proposal could be about "landuse=forest is managed, natural=wood is unmanaged. Period.", but, as I understand the situation, such proposal would likely stall or being uneffective, because most mappers who use another approach of the landuse=forest/natural=wood distinction would likely keep their approach, voiding the proposal, even approved. That wouldn't resolve the pointed rendering issues either.

Now, let's say the proposal
* deprecates landuse=forest,
* states that natural=wood says "this area, managed or wild, is totally covered by trees",
* states that boundary=forestry says "this area is managed through forestry".
Let's take the above schema, with ║ symbolising the boundary=forestry relation, and ─ symbolising natural=wood, the only remaining tag for wooded areas:
╔═════════════════════╗
║─────────────────────║
║─────────────────────║
║───────││││││────────║
║─────│││││││││───────║
║───────│││││││││─────║
║───────││││││││──────║
║─────────────────────║
╚═════════════════════╝
Now, the pond being part and parcel of the forestry area is unambiguous, and there will not be buggy rendering of trees inside it, as the natural=* entities no longer overlap.

Is the pond not part and parcel of the forestry area? Then model it this way, with the external member of the boundary=forestry relation as an outer member, and the internal one as an inner member :
╔═════════════════════╗
║─────────────────────║
║──────╔══════╗───────║
║────╔═╝││││││╚╗──────║
║────║│││││││││╚═╗────║

Now the pond is unambiguously out of the surrounding forestry area, and the rendering of the trees texture of natural=wood will never be rendered over the pond.

By the way, this is one of the reasons for the proposal being about a boundary relation: AFAIK, these are always rendered as coloured lines along their members, describing their limits, contrary to natural/landuse entities, typically rendered with a texture. As I understand it (and the current rendering enforces my understanding), boundaries are about where a feature stops, not what it includes, and natural/landuse entities are basically more about the physical land state. As forestry areas may, and often do, include non-wooded features, it seemed consistent to me to use a boundary relation instead of a natural/landuse entity. I'm not saying your approach about it is wrong, SteveA, but that mine seems to give an easier way to remove possible ambiguities about whether non-wooded areas are included in the forestry area or not, while keeping the rendering of the non wooded area consistent with it being included or not in the forestry area. Besides, even if the proposal was "use landuse=forest for managed wooded lands, and landuse=wood for unmanaged wooded lands", once approved, how would you understand a plain landuse=forest entity? As "this is a managed wooded land", or as "nobody have clarified yet, if the area is managed or not"? Providing a new tagging scheme allows to remove this ambiguity: if the new tagging scheme is used, the management question has been addressed and I can retag landuse=forest to natural=wood; if the new tagging scheme is not used, the management question has not been addressed and I should address if possible.

Should the proposal include the deprecation of landuse=forest and enforce natural=wood as simply describing a wooded land, managed or not, applying the new scheme to existing landuse=forest polygons would take years. During this time, editors should warn about the deprecation, but renderers, IMO, should not, at least immediately, remove the rendering of landuse=forest. It should not happen before the overall OSM  community is aware of the deprecation and the new tagging scheme replaces enough preexisting landuse=forest entities; a quicker rendering change would most likely confuse the community, and could even doom the tagging scheme, even approved. I don't think such a brutal approach is relevant, and the proposal should favor the smooth, long term way.

As for the rendering of the borders, I proposed green because it seemed consistent with current customs, but you are right it could conflict with park/protected areas/whatever, either currently rendered or proposed. That being said, I don't see (yet) a replacement colour or dashes pattern that would still be easily understod as related to forests, while being distinct enough of parks/protected areas. Do you have suggestions?

I hope I addressed all, or at least most, of your concerns. If not, as I said: please hit harder. ;-)

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.