[Tagging] Wind Farms

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Feb 10 20:45:31 UTC 2021

On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:38 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> I'm starting to work on a proposal to import wind farms in Washington State. Before I get too far into the propoal, I'd like to understand how a relation of wind turbines should be tagged. Using an existing wind farm that is already mapped in OSM, I created  openstreetmap.org/relation/12296494 to describe the wind farm with the following tags:
>
> name=Vantage Winds Energy Project
> plant:output:electricity=90 MW
> plant:source=wind
> type=site
> site=wind_farm
>
> Are these tags correct? What other tags should a wind farm include?

It appears you are putting these tags on the entire farm "site" (that seems OK, though I haven't seen it).  The individual wind turbines are also tagged:

generator:source=wind
power=generator

You could also tag each turbine with:

generator:output:electricity=500 kW

if you know the values of each turbine's output.

SteveA