[Tagging] Draft proposal for historic cemetery

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Feb 13 15:51:34 UTC 2021

On 11.02.21 18:24, Paul Allen wrote:
> To my mind, historic=* should never have been a primary key, only an
> attribute.

I fully agree. Having a single primary tag makes a lot of things easier.
It lends itself better to editor presets and avoids tag duplication
(needing tags for a historic X and a regular X).

As such I'd rather treat the historic status (however it is defined) as
an attribute of the cemetery. As long as one follows best practice and
maps each real-world feature as one OSM element, this is not less specific.

I'd also like to point out that landuse=cemetery + historic=yes is
actually slightly more common than the combination with
historic=cemetery, according to Overpass, so adding this tagging style
to the wiki is not just a case of documenting an established practice.