[Tagging] Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:16:48 UTC 2021

I am strong against to deprecate waterway=river_bank in favour of
natural=water and water=river:

- there is no (described) water=stream in the wiki. However,
waterway=river_bank is used often for more detailed mapping of streams,
so we need (at least described) water = stream;

- if we deprecate and eventually ditch or replace waterway=river_bank we
are going to get a lot of eceptions, since waterway=river_bank is also
used to map wide channels, sometimes ponds etc.., actually most of the
linear waterway feuatures whenever they get wide.  Unfortunately
historically we had only the vaue river_bank instead of "bank" as a more
general term.

- waterway=riverbank is accepted and doesn't give warnings in
combination with wetland = natural. So many wetlands have rivers with
defined river_banks and other waterways running through them without any
issues.  Natural = water is considered as bad mapping and creates
warnings.  Meaning all wetlands need to be converted to multi polygons
or relations with natural=water inner parts. A huge task.

- I would like to see a solution for non-flowing water in ditches. Now
it says explicitly that it has to be combined with waterway=ditch. It
creates lots of validation problems, yet many ditches have the sole
purpose to let the water evaporate or soak away. People find creative
solutions like adding sinkholes at the end of a ditch, bad practice but
only available solution at this time. So do we change the wiki as
acceptable to map ditches as areas (in se map their banks) without a
waterway=ditch running through them ?

So I am in favour of deprecating waterway=river_bank in favour of
natural=water if we find reasonable solutions for the above issues.