[Tagging] Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 02:15:13 UTC 2021

I think it is important to point out that, despite the name, the
waterway=riverbank tag isn't used to tag river banks.  This is one of
the fundamental misunderstandings that this nomenclature causes.  It's
used to tag *river areas* -- in other words, the area of the river
covered by water.  There is currently no tag in use to tag actual
riverbanks (as in just the edges of a river, and not the water in
between), other than to infer it from the edges of tagged river areas.
waterway=riverbank is an exact synonym of natural=water + water=river.
Both are used to tag river areas.

If you are using waterway=riverbank to tag river banks, rather than
river areas, you will quite rightly get an error in JOSM noting that
an area style is used on an unclosed way.