[Tagging] Handicraft shop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 21:35:13 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 17 Feb 2021, at 21:25, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You buy them at the places where they are crafted (then we use craft=handicraft) or if you buy them in a souvenir shop where they are not crafted we use shop=gift.

I agree, the same here. For tools and certain kind of materials, hardware store fits well, but there’s a different kind of shop that not really is a hardware shop, and tools are only a smaller part, they sell things like canvas, cardboard, foamboard, rubber, fabrics, paint (for drawing not to paint your home), somehow a do it yourself, but the do it yourself shop has utility as its scope, you buy things to build or fix stuff, while the one I am after is more for leisure, model building (some focus on railway model landscape building or rc models that fly or swim or drive, but aiming at adults not kids) or for artist supplies. They are relatively rare, but in bigger towns and cities you’ll find them. German terms are Künstlerbedarf, Bastelbedarf, Modellbaubedarf, that’s actually three different kind of similar shops, and they’re distinct from Bürobedarf (office supplies) and Schreibwaren (stationery). Sometimes they might be combined for example with the more ambitious toy stores, or the Bastelbedarf/Schreibwaren combination is also frequent. Maybe bricolage is a suitable term for Bastelbedarf shops?

Cheers Martin