[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - holy well

Anne-Karoline Distel annekadistel at web.de
Fri Feb 19 10:48:58 UTC 2021

I agree that it's both "magic", but I'd say state bodies are more likely
to protect sites that are connected to "real religion".

I agree that historic sacred wells should be tagged as well, but the
historic tag opens up a rabbit hole every time. I'm afraid we're gonna
end up with a historic tag on every holy well, which some people will
not be in favour of. I wouldn't like it for the holy wells in Ireland,
because AFAIK they are still used for their intended use, not like
building=church which is now used as a house or a restaurant or a library.

Landuse=religious might be useful, if there is a wish tree/ rag tree
nearby, but I think two nodes would do the trick as well.

(On a related matter, there are mass paths in Ireland, tracks/ footways
that were only used to go to church. I need to read up more about it,
because that is another thing the council wants to map. I don't know if
they lead to holy wells as well. I have only mapped one and used
name=Mass path, but I'm not sure if that is sufficient.)

Anne