[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - holy well

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:59:14 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 19. Feb. 2021 um 12:39 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> "Historic" does not mean the same thing as "historical."  "Historic"
> does not mean "old," use start_date if you want to indicate
> something is old (it doesn't just indicate that it's old, but
> how old).  "Historic" does not mean "disused," use
> disused=* or disused:*=* for that.

We know you are strongly voicing this strict meaning of "historic" every
now and then (and someone followed suite and changed the wiki accordingly),
but for OSM tags, I would not expect it to have much bearing. Things tagged
with "historic" are as much historic as "amenity" is about amenities. Many
are, many are not. Historic as a main tag is just a container for things
which are often historic in the strict sense, but if they are not, we do
not (did not until now at least) refuse the tag for them. Any wayside cross
is tagged with the "historic" key, not just those that are of exceptional
significance. We do (did) not make this distinction.

Cheers,
Martin