[Tagging] Access restrictions and expressway=yes

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 14:49:44 UTC 2021

Hi,

I noticed that the usage of expressway=yes went up from ~2k to ~12k
elements from mid 2018 to mid 2019, after remaining stable around
~1.8k elements between 2012 to 2018, and has grown at a rate of
approximately +2k elements per year since then. It is mainly used in
the U.S., but it would also be useful in Brazil and probably in many
other countries as well. I saw that the article does not mention any
default access restrictions, but the original proposal does, [1] so
I'm not sure if they apply or not. They almost completely overlap with
access restrictions implied by motorroad=*. Before recommending wider
adoption, I would like to clarify this detail first. [2]

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Expressway_indication#Implied_tags
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:expressway#Implied_access_restrictions

Regards,

--