[Tagging] Handicraft shop

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Fri Feb 19 19:43:37 UTC 2021

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 15:55:21 -0300
António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:

> In decoration, furnishing, jewellery or accessories shops you may not
> (and most of the times you do not) find one single piece of handicraft.
> These shops are called handicraft shops, not jewellery, furnishing nor
> decoration shops for a reason and people search them because they sell
> special and unique products.

Sure, and I think it is important to make the information available in
OSM. The argument about not finding "one single piece of handicraft" is
almost always true for all shop types. There is simply too much
variation in what shops offer even within regions but even more so
globally. Tagging them with the best fitting shop value is not
prohibitive to find shops with handcrafted items if there is a clear
additional tag for that but actually makes it easier if you are looking
for a specific type of handicraft. I think of this a bit like the
vegetarian/vegan keys - there you have the option for yes/no/only. I
would be rather disappointed if OSM would only have a
cuisine=vegetarian tag. That wouldn't be nearly as helpful as the
existing scheme. This would work here too I think.

> In Lisbon airport, for example, you have a big Portuguese handicraft
> shop on the centre hall next to a souvenir shop and with a jewellery
> shop nearby. The differences are clear and well defined.

My educated guess here is that the products are primarily meant to be
bought as a souvenir too, right? Why would a shop=gift handicraft=only
or =yes not be suitable for this then?