[Tagging] Access restrictions and expressway=yes

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 14:21:03 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:50 AM Bert -Araali- Van Opstal
<bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Be careful when you use the term "developed". Local communities become offended.

"Developed" should only be understood as "reached its full economic
potential", and developing, "getting there". There's no intention of
offending anyone. The OSM wiki uses the expression "built area", which
is essentially the same idea, so "developed" would mean "fully built"
while "developing" would mean "being built".

> Developed in which sense, as creating paved highways, as being able to incorporate natural materials and tracks in a natural environment, I wouldn't call them developing in general.
> They are much more developed in the sense of experience and integration of highways in a luckily still mostly pristine natural environment. I can't say that of most of the regions in the western world.

So, my point is that using only the physical characteristics for
highway classification in OSM ends up indirectly encoding into the
road network the regional and local wealth gaps, not reflecting their
socioeconomic importance, [1] which is the concept adopted by HOT. [2]

> Better use terms like in tropical countries, southern hemisphere etc.., these countries are much more developed in many senses.

I come from a developing tropical country in the southern hemisphere
and I partially agree. Each country and each system has its pros and
cons.

> (This is a kind remark as a counterbalance to the western domination :) ). Maybe the HFCS should be regarded as not a favourable development, an example of a "developing" nation when it comes to climate change and respect for the environment.

Here in Brazil, the commercial cartographic tradition is to classify
ways according to their importance for mobility in specific contexts.
In remote areas, most streets in the city are unpaved, but even some
unpaved streets are the "main" streets. If the classification does not
reflect this, OSM becomes useless as a guide for moving around. The
same is often true on larger regional scales. So, HFCS's ideas about
"function" could be applied, but certainly not the associated physical
profiles.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Highway_key_voting_importance
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa#Values_based_on_economic_and_social_dimension_of_the_road

--