[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Feb 26 11:54:42 UTC 2021

On Feb 26, 2021, at 3:00 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Tracktype.jpg

Thank you, Mateusz, that’s a very visually descriptive “panel of pictures” describing the five tracktype grades.  With the exception of how grade1 is (mostly) paved (there’s that “chunk” of pavement missing!), this is about exactly how I tag these.  I’ve described (at least a couple of times here) what I would tag grade1, it’s essentially a very-hard-packed dirt road, very smooth, and capable of moderate-to-higher speeds.  I suppose that if I do that sort of tagging, PLUS, others tag “essentially paved farm / forest roads” with grade 1, we’re not that far apart and neither of us are (or have been) tagging truly INcorrectly.  Especially as the roads that I tag as grade1 are much “better” than this photo shows of grade2 (smoother, not as “mixed rocky,” in fact not rocky at all), except they weren’t paved.  More like “the highest quality road you can get while it still remains unpaved.”

I feel like we (I?!) am getting way deep into a very specific corner of what this thread started out to be, but perhaps too late, it simply “went there."

> (interestingly, in its original form tracktype proposal mentions use of tracks for tagging driveways to
> farms - see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/grade1-5&oldid=14609 )

This is one of those “amazing historical facts about OSM:”  sometimes, the history comes around full circle!  Or, what we talk about as “old” becomes “new again.”  Or, “what was once seen as a good idea but later discarded, seems to resurrect once again as a good idea years later!”  Or…I’ll stop there.