[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Fri Feb 26 22:55:03 UTC 2021

Paul Allen:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 19:04, brad <bradhaack at fastmail.com
> <mailto:bradhaack at fastmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     That said, I've never seen a paved way that I would tag as a track.
>

> I've seen a few.  I have no idea why a farmer would pave a track that
> doesn't lead anywhere other than a field but I've seen a few.  The only
> one I could see a reason for paving led to a wind turbine and it might
> have been difficult to install it over an unpaved track.

Roads to wind turbines I tag as highway=service even if they are unpaved.

The wiki on service road has a picture of a road to radio mast:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Geograph-3398520-by-Russel-Wills.jpg

Modern wind turbines are big industrial facilities that need service roads for
repairs and maintenance.

These roads are very much part of the wind turbine projects and are planned according
to city policies and environmental impact.

For example here is a report on 8 new wind turbines in Vinge.
Part of the plan is 2500 meter of serviceroads (da: serviceveje), compacted, 6m wide.
https://planinfo.erhvervsstyrelsen.dk/sites/default/files/media/miljoerapport.pdf

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen