[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop as post-partner

Georg georg2016 at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Feb 27 15:09:11 UTC 2021

Am 2021-02-16 um 15:32 schrieb Bert -Araali- Van Opstal:
> I'd like to propose the following [...]
> Do not introduce a new key but use the existing office=courier

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aoffice%3Dcourier has a purpose
closely related to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/shop_as_post-partner
so I see potential to join them together or at least to interlink them.
I added that to the proposal so we do not forget.

> or office=logistics

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aoffice%3Dlogistics has a very
short description I understand this is for wholesale / pure business 2
business. Then it's kind of the "backoffice counterparty" of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/shop_as_post-partner
so complementary, but the same.

> better then to introduce a new one which is not used so far

While I agree to rather use what we have, those two suggestions are IMHO
not suitable because we defined it's forbidden to use more than one
value for key office - so in the end, we'd have the same issue as with
amenity=post_office in an amenity=fuel (Which of the two shall be
mapped? Or map both as 2 nodes despite it's the same physical thing?).
Do you see a solution to this?

Besides using existing keys, we may also "just" use terms from these
keys in the new proposal. Please see my reply to Paul.

> Specifically to the german situation, but this also applies since recent
> to other countries, like the Netherlands, Belgium or France, the name
> post or postal is reserved to formal, whole or partially government
> Deutsche Post, Bpost, PostNL, La Poste,

FYI, in Germany we have also new/private providers with "post" in the
name - see e.g.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postunternehmen#%C3%9Cberregionale_Postunternehmen

> they are all at least partially government owned, also
> because they offer services which are not allowed to be carried out by
> courier services (don't want to go in too much detail here).

This varies so much between countries that IMHO we cannot globally
define a fixed range of services that are offered by a "more or less
state operated" post office and what by "purely private" organisations.
For example, identity verfication or "authorized copies" of papers or
money transfer or paying govermental fees are also carried out by banks,
a range of govermental offices, health insurances, etc. See also my
reply to Martin.

So, these "additional services" cannot be taken as a clear distinction
between "post office" and other "letters, parcels and closely related
services points" on a global scale. That's a discussion on it's own, so
please let's stick to letters & parcels & co in this thread :)

Greetings, Georg