[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop as post-partner

Robin Burek robin.burek at gmx.de
Sun Feb 28 16:08:28 UTC 2021

Am 28.02.2021 um 16:03 schrieb Paul Allen:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 14:51, Robin Burek <robin.burek at gmx.de
> <mailto:robin.burek at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     No, I think you're near the truth. The problem here: nominatim
>     neglects a lot of different data (e.g. stop area relations and
>     much more) - mho: The search is more broken than it really works
>     well. It works for me not like a search should do in 21st century.....
>

> It works well enough for its intended purpose, to find things by
> name.  For
> many ordinary data consumers, that is the main thing they want to do:
> they need to find towns, villages, hamlets or even houses with specific
> names.  Having found a town they can look at the icons and names
> of shops to see what is there.  Not many need to find stop area
> relations.  I've never needed to find a stop area relation.
>
> If you want a more comprehensive search then use overpass-turbo.  I
> do not consider it to be something suitable for ordinary consumers but
> it does many (all?) of the things you may want.

I can handle overpass - my grandmother or my mother not :D And a search
is more than find only towns or such things.
When I search for a restaurant - why should it mark the next restaurants
in my visible area.
When I search for the stop-area "Hauptbahnhof Ost" in Magdeburg i want
to see all stop-points (btw. the bus stop and the tram stop are 300m
apart) not first the first platform, then the stop point for this, and
so on.... That ist not intuitive. And the stop-area has also the name
"Hauptbahnhof Ost" ;)Â https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/157080
Otherwise the "search" should renamed by "name search". But I expect
more from a search in a map than just a fraction of the possible search
results.

And when the search on openstreetmap.org (and that is nominatim ;) ) is
not for ordinary consumers, for who the f*** else?