[Tagging] sells namespace

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Fri Jan 1 05:30:48 UTC 2021

It came to my attention that there exist some tags in the "sells:"
namespace [1]. According to the history of the only(?) documented tag
in the wiki (sells:tobacco[2] which was created by Martin Koppenhoefer
in 2016) there was some discussion on the ML about this but I could not
find it in the archives nor any other documentation on the intended
usage of this namespace.

I presume it should replace the ambiguous usages of tobacco=yes etc.
and I would welcome such a possibility for clarification on other items
too (I was working on a page [3] dedicated to the special kind of
tobacco shops in Austria).

Since usage numbers of sells:tobacco has quadrupled in the last 2 years
I was wondering if there should be more documentation on the purpose of
the namespace and especially some guidelines regarding the "legal" other
subkeys.

What was the discussion in 2016 about and its consensus?
What's the lists' opinion on this group of tags?

1: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=sells%3A
2: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sells:tobacco
3: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Austria/Tabaktrafiken (German)