[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 16:59:37 UTC 2021

These are not picnic sites, they're only sometimes equipped with a table.
And they are called rest areas ("area di sosta") which literally means
"rest area".
The example shows a particular large one, most are much smaller, like this
one <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/_zJaSCnWFk5fEXczxIfLFg>, just a
bench, dustbin, an (empty) information table and bicycle stand.

It would require a change to the wiki page, sure.

But this is not the only tag  in OSM that is at present heavily
car-oriented.