[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Fri Jan 1 19:07:21 UTC 2021

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 17:59:37 +0100
Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> These are not picnic sites, they're only sometimes equipped with a table.
> And they are called rest areas ("area di sosta") which literally means
> "rest area".
> The example shows a particular large one, most are much smaller, like this
> one <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/_zJaSCnWFk5fEXczxIfLFg>, just a
> bench, dustbin, an (empty) information table and bicycle stand.

I know such places too. They are often installed when politicians
confuse bicycles with sports equipment and cycling with a sport here
too ;)
However, the tag I proposed matches best with the current definitions,
take a look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dpicnic_site
In the german translation it is even more clear "Ein Rastplatz
(Picknickplatz) findet sich in der Regel an Wander- und Radwegen." I am
not entirely sure why this description was put there but not on the
english version (I can just assume it is the common dontgiveafuck
mentality) and it changes the definition a bit (shifts the focus from
eating to resting).

I am not against refining both tags but I am not convinced it is
beneficial yet. What would we gain that way? One reason might be to
differentiate true picnic sites that are not along a (recreational
cycle/hiking) route but in parks etc.
However, unlike cars people can adept pretty well in the relevant
situations, i.e., I would not mind resting on a public place for BBQs
(that's a thing here) and take the water there on a cycling tour even if
that was not the intended purpose of the facilities. :)