[Tagging] Use of the name=* on features internal to named areas

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 20:17:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 19:50, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.  I modified my original proposed paragraph based
> on the comments in the discussion in this thread and edited the Names
> article as follows:
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Names&type=revision&diff=2081495&oldid=2071994

"If the internal feature is named, it should still not be combined with the
enclosing
area's name."

Unless, of course, that is what it is actually called.  There's a Netpool
Bandstand inside Netpool Park.  Not quite named Netpool Park
Bandstand, so escapes that rule (unless enthusiastically
interpreted by somebody).  But I can imagine such situations
arising.

Sometimes the enclosing area is implicit.  There is Cardigan Rugby
Football Club and many other things with Cardigan in the name
inside the town of Cardigan.  It's what it says on the signs
and/or advertising and/or website.

We shouldn't synthesise a name that doesn't exist by
adding the name of the enclosing area, but when that
is in the actual name...

--
Paul