[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jan 1 21:27:10 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 10:31 AM Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 17:17:10 +0100
> Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can we use highway=rest_area on foot ro cycle routes.
> > I am talking about dedicated spaces with benches, (sometimes) tables,
> > (sometimes) information panels.No food sold, no restaurant, no toilet.
> > An example <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/2e2tV7cWmqBYZQ_4dDHoJw>
> along
> > an ex-railway (reconverted ex.platform).
> >
> > We have them frequently here as they are mandatory on new cycle routes.
> SO
> > fr I only mapped (sometimes) the bench or table or panel, but not the
> area.

I don't see why not.  In my region, there's more rest areas on cycleways
than highways.

> While I think that highway=rest_area would actually be very fitting,
> its current definition and usage AFAIK is very car-focused. I would
> recommend using tourism=picnic_site which is basically a rest_area but
> for humans ;)

In my mind a classic example of a rest area would be like the ones that
Caltrans or the Oregon DOT operate, which is basically just a place to
park, use a toilet, and maybe eat a sack lunch and are primarily
utilitarian in nature.  To my mind, a rest area must have appropriate
parking and a toilet, basically highway=services but without the service
part.

Meanwhile ODOT in Oklahoma offered picnic areas on the roadside for
decades, which had nothing but a place to park and usually several picnic
tables, sometimes accessed via ramps, sometimes just a wide spot on the
shoulder with a solo picnic table, with no trash or toilets.

I also don't see a reason why highway=services couldn't be theoretically
useful for bicycle facilities and I could imagine one, but to my knowledge
there's nothing like a turnpike concessions plaza purpose built for a
cycleway yet.