[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 21:58:23 UTC 2021

On 01/01/2021 21:52, ael via Tagging wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 12:53:36PM -0800, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> Re: "just a bench, dustbin, an (empty) information table and bicycle stand."
>>
>> That's certainly not a highway=rest_area, because a rest_area always has
>> toilets.
>>
> Really. Then I have mistagged a ridiculous number of laybys in the UK
> incorrectly. The "layby" tag disappeared from the josm presets, and
> rest_area seemed to be the new option. I have since changed back to
> using layby anyway, but all those older edits are still rest_areas.

It looks like the JOSM presets are wrong on this occasion.

A layby isn't a highway=rest_area; it usually (in the UK) has no
faclities beyond the ability to park.  A small number might have a bin
as well, but that's it.  To mistag a layby as a rest_area would severely
disappoint people looking for an actual rest_area.

Best Regards,

Andy